Adam is a Consultant Gastroenterologist and General Physician at St Mark’s Hospital, part of London North West Healthcare NHS Trust incorporating Northwick Park, Central Middlesex and Ealing Hospitals. He specialises in endoscopy with a particular interest in colonoscopy and therapeutic endoscopy, including polypectomy, endoscopic mucosal resection, stent insertion, stricture dilatation and treatment of bleeding lesions. His particular research interest is on improving the quality of endoscopic training. Adam is the Trust lead for Upper GI and Hepatobiliary cancer and manages all aspects of gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary disorders as well as the care of acute general medical patients at all three trust sites.
Dr Haycock graduated from St Mary’s Hospital (Imperial College) in 1999 and was a specialist registrar in the North West Thames region. He completed an MD at St Mark’s Hospital in 2010 on “Quality Assurance of Training in Diagnostic and Therapeutic Gastrointestinal Endoscopy”. This included developing novel techniques for assessing and evaluating training processes, including the use of advanced virtual reality simulation for colonoscopy. He has peer-reviewed publications arising from this research and has been invited to speak at both national and international meetings on the topic. He is the Chair of the UK Endoscopy Training Federation and member of the BSG Endoscopy committee and the Joint Advisory Group (JAG) on Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. He is an international member of the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, and part of a multinational working group to establish consensus guidelines for the use of simulation in gastrointestinal endoscopy. He completed a teaching degree in 2011 leading to accreditation with the Higher Education Academy.
Dr Haycock lives with his family in Buckinghamshire and enjoys cycling, tennis and painting.
Evaluation of a minimally invasive cell sampling device coupled with assessment of trefoil factor 3 expression for diagnosing Barrett's esophagus: a multi-center case-control study. Ross-Innes CS, Debiram-Beecham I, O'Donovan M, Walker E, Varghese S, Lao-Sirieix P, Lovat L, Griffin M, Ragunath K, Haidry R, Sami SS, Kaye P, Novelli M, Disep B, Ostler R, Aigret B, North BV, Bhandari P, Haycock A, Morris D, Attwood S, Dhar A, Rees C, Rutter MD, Sasieni PD, Fitzgerald RC; BEST2 Study Group. PLoS Med. 2015 Jan 29;12(1):e1001780
- Endoscopic non-technical skills team training: The next step in quality assurance of endoscopy training. Matharoo M, Haycock A, Sevdalis N, Thomas-Gibson S. World J Gastroenterol. 2014 Dec 14;20(46):17507-15.
- Implementation of an endoscopy safety checklist. Matharoo M, Thomas-Gibson S, Haycock A, Sevdalis N. Frontline Gastroenterol. 2014 Oct;5(4):260-265. Epub 2013 Dec 19.
- How we can measure quality in colonoscopy?Bourikas LA, Tsiamoulos ZP, Haycock A, Thomas-Gibson S, Saunders BP. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2013 Oct 16;5(10):468-75.
- Preservation and Incorporation of Valuable Endoscopic Innovations (PIVI) on the use of endoscopy simulators for training and assessing skill. Cohen J, Bosworth BP, Chak A, Dunkin BJ, Early DS, Gerson LB, Hawes RH, Haycock AV, Hochberger JH, Hwang JH, Martin JA, McNally PR, Sedlack RE, Vassiliou MC. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Sep;76(3):471-5. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2012.03.248. Epub 2012 Jul 17
- The development of a virtual reality training curriculum for colonoscopy. Sugden C, Aggarwal R, Banerjee A, Haycock A, Thomas-Gibson S, Williams CB, Darzi A. Ann Surg. 2012 Jul;256(1):188-92. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31825b6e9c.
- Development and validation of a training module on the use of narrow-band imaging in differentiation of small adenomas from hyperplastic colorectal polyps. Ignjatovic A, Thomas-Gibson S, East JE, Haycock A, Bassett P, Bhandari P, Man R, Suzuki N, Saunders BP. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Jan;73(1):128-33.
- CT colonography training for radiographers--a formal evaluation. Haycock A, Burling D, Wylie P, Muckian J, Ilangovan R, Thomas-Gibson S. Clin Radiol. 2010 Dec;65(12):997-1004.
- Training and transfer of colonoscopy skills: a multinational, randomized, blinded, controlled trial of simulator versus bedside training. Haycock A, Koch AD, Familiari P, van Delft F, Dekker E, Petruzziello L, Haringsma J, Thomas-Gibson S. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010 Feb;71(2):298-307. Epub 2009 Nov 3.
- Validation of the second-generation Olympus colonoscopy simulator for skills assessment. Haycock AV, Bassett P, Bladen J, Thomas-Gibson S. Endoscopy. 2009 Nov;41(11):952-8. Epub 2009 Oct 2.
- Evaluating changes in gastrointestinal endoscopy training over 5 years: closing the audit loop. Haycock AV, Patel JH, Tekkis PP, Thomas-Gibson S. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Mar;22(3):368-73.
- Simulator training improves practical skills in therapeutic GI endoscopy: results from a randomized, blinded, controlled study. Haycock AV, Youd P, Bassett P, Saunders BP, Tekkis P, Thomas-Gibson S. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 Nov;70(5):835-45. Epub 2009 Jun 25.
- Computer-aided learning in capsule endoscopy leads to improvement in lesion recognition ability. Postgate A, Haycock A, Thomas-Gibson S, Fitzpatrick A, Bassett P, Preston S, Saunders BP, Fraser C. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 Aug;70(2):310-6. Epub 2009 Apr 21.
- Development of a novel esophageal stricture simulation. Haycock AV, East JE, Swain D, Thomas-Gibson S. Dig Dis Sci. 2010 Feb;55(2):321-7. Epub 2009 Mar 13.
- Economic analysis of esophageal stenting for management of malignant dysphagia. Rao C, Haycock A, Zacharakis E, Krasopoulos G, Yakoub D, Protopapas A, Darzi A, Hanna GB, Athanasiou T. Dis Esophagus. 2009;22(4):337-47. Epub 2009 Jan 9.
- How should we train capsule endoscopy? A pilot study of performance changes during a structured capsule endoscopy training program. Postgate A, Haycock A, Fitzpatrick A, Schofield G, Bassett P, Thomas-Gibson S, Fraser C. Dig Dis Sci. 2009 Aug;54(8):1672-9. Epub 2008 Nov 26.
- Magnetic Endoscope Imaging. Haycock A, Saunders BP, Williams CB. In: UpToDate, Basow, DS (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA, 2010
- Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy. A Haycock, S Thomas-Gibson. In A Companion to Specialist Surgical Practice – Colorectal Surgery. 4th Edition. Editor Prof R K S Phillips. Elsevier Ltd.