Aymer is a consultant Gastroenterologist and General Physician at The Hillingdon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. He is Endoscopy Lead for the Trust and was recently appointed as Specialty Lead for Acute Medicine. He graduated in 1999 with First Class Honours and in the top 1% of his year. He was awarded the Baldwin Prize for Clinical Medicine, the Bristowe Medal and Beaney Prize for Pathology, The War Memorial Clinical Exhibition, and The Wolfson Foundation scholarship for his BSc studies for which also received a First Class Honours degree.
Aymer undertook core medical training at Charing Cross and West Middlesex Hospitals followed by specialist training in gastroenterology and general medicine within the North West London region between 2003 and 2010. Four years were spent at the specialist St. Mark’s Hospital, including three years of post-graduate research within the Wolfson Unit for Endoscopy for which he received a Doctorate of Medicine degree from Imperial College London in 2010. His published work is mainly within the fields of interventional endoscopy and capsule endoscopy and he continues to peer review articles for international journals.
Dr Postgate manages all general gastroenterological and liver conditions along with acute medical problems as part of his day-to-day work at Hillingdon Hospital. He is Endoscopy lead and Training lead for the Trust, and has a particular interest in therapeutic colonoscopy and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, including complex polypectomy, enteral and colonic stenting and ERCP. He also runs the capsule endoscopy service and participates in the emergency gastrointestinal bleed rota covering both Hillingdon, Mount Vernon and Harefield Hospitals.
Dr Postgate lives in North London with his wife, a general practitioner, and three young children.
- 'A young woman with abdominal distension.' Appleby R, Saroya H, Postgate A, Meer Z. BMJ Case Rep. 2014 Apr 9;2014.
- Endoscopically applied radiofrequency ablation appears to be safe in the treatment of malignant biliary obstruction. Steel AW, Postgate AJ, Khorsandi S, Nicholls J, Jiao L, Vlavianos P, Habib N, Westaby D. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Jan;73(1):149-5
- A prospective study of MR enterography versus capsule endoscopy for the surveillance of adult patients with Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. Gupta A, Postgate AJ, Burling D, Ilangovan R, Marshall M, Phillips RK, Clark SK, Fraser CH. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010 Jul;195(1):108-16.
- Capsule endoscopy for the small bowel in juvenile polyposis syndrome: a case series. Postgate AJ, Will OC, Fraser CH, Fitzpatrick A, Phillips RK, Clark SK. Endoscopy. 2009 Nov;41(11):1001-4. Epub 2009 Oct 8.
- Capsule endoscopy versus colonoscopy for the detection of polyps and cancer. Van Gossum A, Munoz-Navas M, Fernandez-Urien I, Carretero C, Gay G, Delvaux M, Lapalus MG, Ponchon T, Neuhaus H, Philipper M, Costamagna G, Riccioni ME, Spada C, Petruzziello L, Fraser C, Postgate A, Fitzpatrick A, Hagenmuller F, Keuchel M, Schoofs N, Devière J. N Engl J Med. 2009 Jul 16;361(3):264-70. Erratum in: N Engl J Med. 2009 Sep 17;361(12):1220. Navas, Miguel Munoz [corrected to Munoz-Navas, Miguel].
- An unusual cause of diarrhea: diffuse intestinal nodular lymphoid hyperplasia in association with selective immunoglobulin A deficiency (with video). Postgate A, Despott E, Talbot I, Phillips R, Aylwin A, Fraser C. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 Jul;70(1):168-9; discussion 169. No abstract available.
- Feasibility of video capsule endoscopy in the management of children with Peutz-Jeghers syndrome: a blinded comparison with barium enterography for the detection of small bowel polyps. Postgate A, Hyer W, Phillips R, Gupta A, Burling D, Bartram C, Marshall M, Taylor S, Brown G, Schofield G, Bassett P, Spray C, Fitzpatrick A, Latchford A, Fraser C. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009 Oct;49(4):417-23. Erratum in: J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010 Feb;50(2):235.
- Computer-aided learning in capsule endoscopy leads to improvement in lesion recognition ability. Postgate A, Haycock A, Thomas-Gibson S, Fitzpatrick A, Bassett P, Preston S, Saunders BP, Fraser C. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 Aug;70(2):310-6. Epub 2009 Apr 21.
- Are bowel purgatives and prokinetics useful for small-bowel capsule endoscopy? A prospective randomized controlled study. Postgate A, Tekkis P, Patterson N, Fitzpatrick A, Bassett P, Fraser C. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009 May;69(6):1120-8. Epub 2009 Jan 18.
- How should we train capsule endoscopy? A pilot study of performance changes during a structured capsule endoscopy training program. Postgate A, Haycock A, Fitzpatrick A, Schofield G, Bassett P, Thomas-Gibson S, Fraser C. Dig Dis Sci. 2009 Aug;54(8):1672-9. Epub 2008 Nov 26.
- Significant small-bowel lesions detected by alternative diagnostic modalities after negative capsule endoscopy. Postgate A, Despott E, Burling D, Gupta A, Phillips R, O'Beirne J, Patch D, Fraser C. Gastrointest Endosc. 2008 Dec;68(6):1209-14.
- The impact of experience on polyp detection and sizing accuracy at capsule endoscopy: implications for training from an animal model study.Postgate A, Tekkis P, Fitzpatrick A, Bassett P, Fraser C. Endoscopy. 2008 Jun;40(6):496-501.
- Safety, reliability and limitations of the given patency capsule in patients at risk of capsule retention: a 3-year technical review. Postgate AJ, Burling D, Gupta A, Fitzpatrick A, Fraser C. Dig Dis Sci. 2008 Oct;53(10):2732-8. Epub 2008 Mar 5.
- Argon plasma coagulation in chronic radiation proctitis. Postgate A, Saunders B, Tjandra J, Vargo J. Endoscopy. 2007 Apr;39(4):361-5
- Capsule Colonoscopy. A Postgate, C Fraser, J Deviere, a chapter in:- 'Colonoscopy, Principles and Practice.' Prof J Waye (Director of Endoscopic Education, Mount Sinai Hospital, New York), D Rex, C Williams (St. Marks Hospital, Harrow), 2009, in press.